Last updated May 7, 2021
Given the evolving nature of this pandemic, we are continuously monitoring CDC guidelines as well as those of other federal, state, and local agencies to ensure we comply with the most up to date recommendations. We wanted to take a moment to provide a quick update and reminder of our Big Blue Health and Safety practices. Keep in mind some requirements may vary by swim school so please contact your local school if you have specific questions.
Before you Arrive:
- If your child or someone else in your household is not feeling well, we ask that you please stay home and utilize our make-up lesson policy.
- Please arrive dressed in swimsuits to avoid use of the changing rooms prior to your kids swim lessons.
- Doors will open 5 minutes prior to the start of your scheduled lesson time, at which point we will begin temperature checks. To speed up this process, we recommend you complete our online self check-in and wellness screening via the Parent Portal up to an hour prior to your lesson.
- Chairs have been spaced in the lobby to meet social distancing guidelines. Caregivers will not be allowed to view lessons from on the pool deck.
- We may limit the number of adults or caregivers accompanying children to the school based on local capacity regulations. Where capacity restrictions are in place, we will limit entrance to one caregiver per three kids to manage numbers within our facility.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
- All staff are required to wear the appropriate PPE for their shift for the duration of their time in the building, including face shields for instructors in the water as well as masks and gloves for front desk staff and those on custodial duties.
- Face masks that cover the mouth and nose are strongly encouraged in all of our schools, and will be required while on site at Big Blue where recommended by state and local health authorities. Children do not wear masks while in the pool area.
- We require that the caregiver participating in our Baby Blue classes wear a mask or clear face shield in the lesson as they will not be putting their face in the water.
Enhanced Cleaning Protocol:
- We disinfect all high touch surfaces including changing rooms, chairs, and in-pool teaching tools every 30-minutes with a product that meets EPA’s criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. This product is listed as safe for settings such as hospitals, NICUs, schools, and daycares.
- All high touch surfaces are also deep cleaned at the end of each evening by members of our staff with a disinfectant that also meets EPA criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2.
- Hair dryers are available behind the front desk to be loaned to individual families to ensure it is disinfected after each use. You may also bring your own hair dryer from home if you prefer.
- We screen for symptoms and check temperature for all families and staff prior to entry to our facility. We now offer online check in for all families via our Parent Portal and mobile app.
- If anyone in your household is feeling unwell we ask that you please stay home and take advantage of our make-up lesson policy.
- Staff members have access to enhanced paid sick leave that allows them maximum flexibility in the event they feel ill, ensuring they don’t feel pressured to choose between their health and their work.
- Were someone in your household to be diagnosed with COVID-19 after being in a Big Blue facility, we ask that you call your local pool as soon as possible to let us know.
While we work hard to prevent any cases of COVID-19 from entering our facilities with our enhanced health and safety protocols, we recognize that may not always be possible. If we receive notification of a positive case who has been in our facility, we will immediately work with the individual via direct interview as well as our digital attendance records to identify any incidences of close contact with staff members, swimmers, and family members while maintaining their privacy, in accordance with local, state, and federal guidelines.
- We will then promptly notify all staff of that facility, as well as all families who were in the facility on the same day as the infected individual.
- A separate and direct communication will be made with any staff or families who had close contact with the infected individual, while being mindful to protect personal identifying details of the positive individual. All staff found to be in close contact are given recommended locations for testing and are asked to quarantine in accordance with current federal, state, and local guidelines plus the direction of their medical provider. All families are recommended to consult with their medical provider.
Thank you for doing your part to help keep Big Blue swim lessons as safe as possible for our whole community!